Girl or Boy? Forget Modern Technology. Try These Old School Tricks
Today, moms-to-be are usually pretty obsessive about finding out the baby’s sex. We just have to know! I kind of missed the days before modern technology took over and all we had was our creativity to figure out what gender the baby would be.
When I was pregnant, nothing was more fascinating-turned-frustrating than the countless people (most of them strangers) who tried to guess the sex of my baby from all sorts of weird clues, from carrying high or low to the size and shape of my belly to the way I was walking.
When you’re pregnant everyone has a gender guess. Some people say carrying low is a boy and carrying high is a girl. Others call it vice versa. It’s fun to play along, but after a while, it can get a bit annoying when all you want to do is grab your pint of Vanilla Swiss Almond Haagen-Dazs and get back to your comfy sofa instead of being bombarded by a hundred nice old ladies on the way out of the store.
So I collected a few of my favorite clues in the gender game for you to play along with and see if any apply to you, either now, or if you have already delivered, in retrospect. Let me know which ones you think are true, especially if you've done the "Draino Test."
1. If it’s a boy you carry high and round. If it’s a girl, you carry low. ( Again, this could also be vice versa depending on whom you’re talking to)
2. If you’re still looking good, it’s a boy. Boys preserve your looks. Girls steal your beauty.
3. To find out what you’re having, thread a needle and hold it over the bump. If the needle moves from side to side, it’s a boy. If it moves up and down, it’s a girl. I’ve also heard another variation on this where you put the woman’s wedding ring on a string and do the same thing.
4. Eat a clove of garlic. If the smell seeps out of your pores, it’s a boy. If the smell isn’t detected at all, it’s a girl (FYI, this one is probably best done when you have no romantic plans for the day!).
5. If you have a lot of acne it’s a girl. Brewing all those extra hormones for a female is the cause of your breakouts.
6. The old Draino test. Pee in a glass jar with some Draino in it. If the mixture is green, it’s a girl. If it’s blue, it’s a boy. (someone who’s expecting and actually knows their baby’s sex, please get back to me on this one!)
7. The Mayans determined the sex of the baby by taking the mother’s age at conception and the actual calendar year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one is even and one odd, it’s a boy.