Just for Me
Finding Me Time During Busy Times
When I was working full-time “free-time” was an imaginary concept, I mean after all where could I possibly squeeze in any extra time when trying to balance a job, a business, a family and a household? The only “free-time” I had was sitting on the 101 freeway stuck in traffic.
Now that I have more control over my schedule I’m still struggling to make time for myself. I find it even difficult to really define “free-time.” Is working on this post in an empty house free-time? Is taking a shower free-time? Or is sitting down with a glass of wine and watching a movie with the husband free-time.
I think it’s important we sit down and really define what free-time is to us personally, after all it may be different for everyone. As an entrepreneur working from home the lines get really blurry. I could just as easily skim through my pile of email or take a quick jog on the treadmill, tuck the kids in bed and label doing all as free-time. But I think the real definition of free-time is finding time for me and that’s a hard undertaking. How do you make time for yourself when you have kids to feed, deadlines to meet and a house to manage and when you do find this “me time,” what the heck do you do?
Since I have such a hard time finding time for myself, I thought it would be fun to enlist in some help and ask my cyber buddies what they would do if they had thirty minutes of free “me” time and I added a few of my own ideas as well.
1. Read a chapter in that book that’s been sitting in your e-reader
2. Take a long bubble bath
3. Watch your favorite TV show that’s been filling up your DVR
4. Drink something cold in a quiet room wrapped in a snuggie alone
5. Quick 30-minute massage
6. Manicure and Pedicure
7. Sleep or take a quick nap
8. Take a walk and enjoy the fresh air
9. A quick 30 minutes Yoga or Pilates session
10. Drink a glass of your favorite wine and listen to calming music
11. Catch up on your favorite blogs
12. Go to a salon and get your hair cut or styled
13. Go to your favorite store and window shop or really shop
14. Bake your best and favorite dessert
15. Go on a photo walk in the city or in your favorite park
16. Catch up with a friend on the phone
What do you do when you have thirty minutes of free-time?