Hair & Makeup
5 Fall Beauty Items to Try - All Under $10 Each
The air here in Southern California has a bit of a fall bite to it, and the mornings are very cool and breezy - a sure sign that autumn is upon us. I always know summer is coming to a close when I start craving pumpkin-flavored food. Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin cheesecake. Yum.
Aside from pumpkin lattes, the fall signals another big change - a change in your skincare regime. Cooler temperatures call for different products, so it's time to weed out the ones that are summer-only and start incorporating items that are meant for fall. Here are 5 ways to change your beauty routine for fall without breaking the bank - all suggestions fall under $10.
1. Ditch the pastel nail polish. Summer is gone, so be sure to wave farewell with some darker, more fall-appropriate nails. Goodbye yellows, light blues, and hot pinks - hello navy, grey, army green, and deep red. Giving your nails a fall overhaul doesn't have to cost a fortune, though. Essie, one of my favorite all-time lines, can now be found in Walmart stores for $8 bucks a pop (and free shipping).
2. Try a cream-based body wash. I always gravitate towards fruity shower gels in the summer, but they are notoriously drying to the skin (which my body usually makes up for with the humid summer air). However, cooler temperatures means it's time to throw out that fruity shower gel, and choose something creamier and more hydrating (and perhaps has a more winter-ey scent). I love Dove's Cream Oil Ultra Rich Velvet Body Wash which is scented with rosewood and cocoa butter - and a big bottle only sets me back $9.
3. Don't skip the sunscreen. A lot of women seem to stop wearing sunscreen in the fall and winter because the sun's rays don't seem as strong - but it's not true! The cooler weather tricks your mind, but the sun's rays are stronger than ever (trust my sunburned fiance' who managed to get fried after 2 hours at an overcast soccer field last weekend). Find a light sunscreen that you can still wear under your makeup. One I love? Ocean Potion Daily Moisturizer and Sunscreen with SPF 30 - $7 at Drugstore.com.
4. Moisturize Daily. The cooler weather is sure to dry out your skin, so be sure to slather on the lotion daily after your shower when your skin is primed to soak in moisture. This daily dose of moisture will help to combat dryness before it starts. Currently I'm obsessed with Paris Amour from Bath and Body Works - $10 online.
5. Keep cuticle oil handy. The fastest way to tell if someone has been taking care of themselves it to check out their nails. Your cuticles will dry out very quickly, and you'll end up with sore fingers and torn cuticles. Invest in an on-the-go cuticle oil that you can keep in your purse for a daily cuticle boost. Your hands will look so good that everyone will think that you're a lady of leisure! Try OPI Avoplex Cuticle Oil To Go - $7.50.