5 Ways To Glam Up The Little Black Dress
All I can say is thank goodness for Coco Chanel. Women the world over would experience a lot more stress before a cocktail party or other event if she had never invented the Little Black Dress. I am a firm believer that this is one of the absolute must-have wardrobe essentials. However, just because the LBD is a classic that doesn't mean it has to LOOK classic. Pull out your trusty old LBD's from your closet, and glam them up with these 5 tips!
1) Belt it! Grab a belt with metal studs or patterns and cinch the center of the dress. Even better, go for a belt in a bold color like red, purple, or pink - or stick with the neutrals and try a brown! Bonus: this look will accentuate your waist and help to take the focus away from any problem areas. A belt gives us the opportunity to tie in our next tip, which is...
2) Colorful shoes! Choose a pair of shoes that stand out if everything else is black, or if you are going with tip #1, choose a pair of shoes that accentuate and match the belt! My favorite combination is my LBD paired with a pair of smokin' red-hot stilettos.
3) Statement Piece! Grab a bold necklace to add instant glam to your LBD when you're feeling a bit plain. Big and long or short and bold - both looks work to jazz this up! I actually scored my favorite statement necklace from Forever 21 a while back - it was inexpensive and gets tons of compliments wherever I go!
4) Maximize Your Makeup! Take some risks and be a bit bolder than usual with your makeup. Try a smoky eye, cat eyes, or a dark red lip with sleek hair. (Just not together! Doing both would be major overkill!) Don't forget that the key to making these work for you is to practice them before you plan to use them. Don't attempt red lipstick or smoky eyes for the first time an hour before you are supposed to leave. Practice creating the look and wearing it with confidence so that you'll feel that you look your best on your night out!
5) Work It Girl! Don't reserve that LBD for special occasions only! Take your LBD into work mode and transform your look from cocktail to coffee. Try pairing a black sweater dress with tights and a pair of knee-high boots, or pair your black dress with some black tights, ankle booties, and a boyfriend blazer for casual work chic. Who knew one item could get you so much "play"?