7 Things You Didn't Know About "Project Runway" Winner Seth Aaron Henderson
Project Runway has wrapped it's 7th season and declared a new winner - Seth Aaron Henderson - and while I'm so very excited to finally know the outcome of the show and the season, I sorta feel a little empty inside. The runway is barren, there are no designers tearing through Mood with 30 seconds left on the clock as Tim Gunn looks on sternly, and I even find myself wondering if Michael Kors has cut down on his spray tanning.
Thankfully I got a little bit of a "fix" when I caught up with Seth Aaron the day after his big win for an interview - and discovered he really is that cool all of the time. I tossed out the question to my friends on Facebook and Twitter - "If you could ask Seth Aaron anything, what would you ask him?" The responses poured in, and I actually got in every single one of their questions. However, I'm not going to write this up in typical interview style - oh, no. A designer this unique deserves a unique article, so here it is - 7 things that you didn't know about Seth Aaron Henderson.
1. He has a heart for animals. According to Henderson, he and his family are a sort of a "halfway house" for rescued animals. "We find them quality homes" he promised. Fun fact? Two of their more recent rescues were dubbed "Heidi and Tim" by his kids.
2. He's a newbie - sort of. While Henderson has been a stylist for quite some time, he didn't learn to sew until recently! "I got my first machine 5 years ago as a Christmas present from my wife and I just taught myself" he explained.
3. He doesn't often design for his wife. Though he claims he has made her a "few things here and there" Henderson explained that his wife is a "jeans and t-shirt kinda girl" because it's how she is most comfortable. I don't know why, but for some reason learning that he was married to a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl made me like him even more.
4. He'd love his stuff to go gaga. Lady Gaga that is. Henderson explained that the celebrity he'd most like to outfit is Lady Gaga "because it's so out there." I hope her "people" read this, because I'd love to see how that collaboration turns out.
5. He doesn't think fashion has to be expensive. When I asked him if he thought that I would ever personally be able to afford one of his designs, bearing in mind that I make my living as a writer, he lit up with enthusiasm. "I would love to have a department store line, would love to have something for, say, Target. You know, just because it's a $40 jacket doesn't mean it can't be a fantastic $40 jacket."
6. He and Emilio are BFFs. Say wha? Don't worry, I didn't see that one coming, either. It seems they hang out a lot, and according to Henderson, the two "have a mutual respect. If he would have won I would have been excited for him. It was a matter of personal taste of who won, it wasn't a matter of one of us being a better designer."
7. He designs for a bold woman. Ok, well this one you probably have already figured out, but I couldn't resist sharing. When I asked Henderson what kind of woman he has in mind when he is designing, he said "someone who doesn't want to blend into the crowd, who doesn't mind that when they walk into a room, people are going to look at them. They have to be confident in who they are." Then he added, "You've gotta be badass, how 'bout that?"
I chuckled for a while after that last quote, and we ended the interview there. Later as I reflected on the season, I decided that I think that statement perfectly sums up what it took for him to win this season of Project Runway. Actually, I couldn't have said it better myself.