Fall 2009 Fashion Trends
Every season brings new trends. I remember moving to NYC in August of 2000 to work for Donna Karan International and dissecting every Women's Wear Daily for the latest and most up-to-date fashion trends. Rent was second on my list to my wardrobe. I figured, if I was living and working in New York City, I'd better get myself "fashionized." If Carrie Bradshaw could do it, certainly I could, too - right? It just never ceased to amaze me how forever changing fashion styles and trends are, throughout each and every season. And Fall 2009 does not disappoint with all of its pizzazz and fabulousness. The fashions exude strength and power and (dare I say it) a little bit of the 80's. It's about embracing the woman within and honing in on that confidence and sexiness. We all have it, we just need to sometimes dig it on out, or in this case, dress it on out.
As mothers, it's tough to keep up with the latest and greatest in fashion. Let's face it, we're lucky if we make it out the door on time some mornings. But, when it comes to your fashion choices, you do want to make sure that you feel and look beautiful and confident. Embrace some of Fall 2009's trends, see which ones work for you and kick off the "new season" with some gusto!
Here are 5 trends for women for Fall 2009:
1. Color! Bright and fabulous colors. Highlighted are reds and pinks and purples and greens and blues and yellows. The beauty of this trend is that there truly is a color for everyone. There are seasons where a particular color emerges among the others and you just hope it works for you. Well, not this Fall. There's color all around. It's life and energy and inspiration.
2. Gloves. They're everywhere. I absolutely love a good pair of gloves, so it was fun to see gloves making their way onto the runway. So what kinds of gloves? Because I'm not just referring to the dozens of fleece gloves I buy at Old Navy every fall and winter. I'm talking leather gloves and suede gloves and velvet gloves and chunky knitted gloves and satin gloves. All kinds - long and short ones. This trend should be an easy one to channel into your Fall fashions. Think of a pair of gloves as another choice in accessory wear - they're not just for keeping your hands warm anymore. Now they're a fashion statement.
3. Shoulder pads. Some women may cringe at this one. I know this is a total 80's trend making a comeback, but I have to say, I'm getting more and more used to it. Like I said at the beginning, Fall 2009 is all about a woman's strength and power, and what better fashion trend to portray this than shoulder pads? They're strong and big and just, well, there! What's good is that not all fashions will make you look like you belong in a game of football. Some are much more subdued than others. If you're an 80's fashionista, you're loving this "big" trend.
4. Rock & Roll Mama. Leather biker jackets are all over the runways. There's a rocker vibe going on and it's refreshingly cool. It's strong and sexy and oh-so-daring. Everything from leather jackets to leather leggings and leather skirts. It's there for the taking, so if you're looking for some fun, go rocker chic mama as little or as loud as you like.
5. Neutral zones. Just because color is a huge trend this Fall, don't shy away from blacks and grays. The richness and elegance of blacks and grays is seen throughout the runways. There are a lot of all-black and all-gray looks, and monochromatic is definitely a strong trend this season. The beauty of this trend is that anyone and everyone can do it. The "anyone can do it" trends are my favorites.