At Home Spa Treatments and Tips: A DIY Guide
We are rockin' and rollin' on the DIY summer series here on the Beauty and Style Channel! So far this month, we've shown you how to get a salon quality pedicure at home, and create a simple summer updo. Next I want to share some simple tips and tricks for Spa Treatments that you can do at home.
While I believe that every woman and mother deserves to spend a day at the spa, money and time don't always permit. I imagine most of those calls would sound something like this - "Yes, hi. I was wondering if I could schedule a massage and facial for 3 am? Yes ma'am, I said 3 am. Also, is it true that your services are half-off after 11 pm?"
Ok, well, maybe not verbatim.
So, without further ado, here are some tips to help you acheive the perfect spa environment that you crave, without breaking the bank or messing with your schedule.
1. Ambiance. Spas have lots of it, and you can create it for yourself. Bring in several scented candles and spread them around your bathroom. Dim or turn off the lights completely while you go about the rest of your "spa experience". Bonus points if you play some Enya.
2. Get Steamy. For a steam room experience, run your shower on full blast and it's highest temperature for about 10 or 15 minutes. Dab some essential oil on a washcloth (I like eucalyptus or lavender) and hang it up on a hanger or with a clothespin in the shower while it runs (not directly under the water). Voila! Insta-steam room.
3. Cleanse. All of that steam is going to open up your pores - this is the time to use a nice cleanser to break down all of the dirt and oil that builds up and eventually leads to breakouts. Splash some water over your face, and use an exfoliator followed by a gentle cleanser like Philosophy's Purity.
4. Exfoliate. Create your own body scrub by combining 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of raw oatmeal, and 1 cup of Olive Oil. Rub in circles all over your body, then rinse off in the shower. You will be amazed that it's actually your skin that feels like that.
5. Warm It. Fill the sink with hot water, and toss your favorite bottle of lotion into it (closed, of course). Leave it in while you complete step 4 above, and after you rinse off, smooth the warm lotion all over our body. It is instantly relaxing.