How To Add SPF To Your Daily Skincare Routine
I have an awful, awful confession. I am a sun-worshipping goddess.
It's terrible, but I love the sun. I love smoothing oil all over my body, laying out in a chaise lounge and soaking up every last ray.
Don't worry. I know it's a major no-no. I am determined to cut it out this year. Why? Well, frankly because I'm vain. I'm 28 years old and I'm starting to see smile lines. I hate it. I want to look young forever, and a recent study shows that the number one way to slow down the aging process isn't with all of those fancy-schmancy creams, potions, and lotions - it's by staying out of the sun, and by using sunscreen underneath your makeup daily.
So, this year I embarked on a mission to find a great sunscreen that I could wear underneath my makeup on a daily basis. I'm rather particular about products that I use on my face, so it was no small task. I eventually settled on PCA Skin pHaze 7 Protecting Hydrator with UVA/UVB SPF 25 which retails for $30, or Aveeno's Smart Essentials Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 which retails for $15. Both of these products hydrate your skin and protect with SPF - meaning you won't need an additional moisturizer when you use it. PCA Skin is also formulated to provide a matte finish which is important to me since I tend to have oily skin, and had noticeably more oil control than the Aveeno.
Even with the sunscreens formulated to be oil-free, I was still struggling a bit with shine. To give your face the ultimate shine-free prep try the following morning routine:
1. Wash your face and neck with an oil-controlling cleanser, then dry thoroughly.
2. Use a mattifying toner with Zinc on your t-zone to absorb any excess oil.
3. Apply your favorite sunscreen to your face and neck with clean fingertips, and wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to absorb completely.
4. Use blotting paper (drugstores sell them in the store-brand varieties, you can also use rice paper or even old receipt paper!) to soak up any leftover sunscreen residue and oil.
5. Apply a mattifying foundation like Makeup Forever's All-Matte before applying powder and continuing with your beauty routine.