Prepping for Black Friday
Oh, yes... it's coming.
I feel like I'm on the block.... getting ready for the official to say ready, set, GO!
I'm excited. I'm ready. I'm GIDDY beyond words.
Black Friday! Black Friday! Black Friday!
It's a beautiful day.
It's funny... my husband can't stand it, my mother and father don't even bother with it and my sister thinks I'm nuts that I wake up at 1AM and get ready to head out. Truth is, there's not even much that I need... it's just that I need to be out with the masses! I feel like I need to get out there and do my thing.
If you're going to be a little nutty like me and head out early before the sun rises, you have to be ready. It's like prepping for a race, you can't go into game day not prepared or not ready. Oh, no... that's not cool. You need to be ready for action!
So what can you do?
Here are my Black Friday Survival Tips...
1) Eat (and drink) early! Why? Because you'll be standing in line for a very long line and while some people are very friendly, others are not. You don't want to have to move to the back of the line because you had to use the bathroom. You also want to give yourself plenty of time for that post-Thanksgiving, turkey induced nap. You don't want to be tired while waiting in line because it's going to be a long night.
2) COFFEE. COFFEE. COFFEE. Enough said.
3) Bring a buddy! Last year I dragged my husband along with me and having an extra set of hands was essential. We split up, each with a list of items we were responsible for. Divide and conquer! Not to mention, if you ignore my first tip, it's good to have someone to hold your spot!
4) Scout! Many stores will begin placing their big ticket and hot new items out before Black Friday. Like I mean, you can find out NOW if the stuff you want will be on sale. Know where the things you want are ahead of time! Every store will be a zoo on Black Friday and many people will be looking for the same item as you. Quantities are often limited, so get a leg up and know where everything you want will be. You want to be ready!
5) Game Plan! With your advanced scouting complete and the circulars dissected it's time to come up with a plan. It's like going into battle. Have a list of what you want and where it's located. Prioritize your list, knowing that you need to get items with limited quantities first. Plan a route that allows you to move quickly and efficiently through the store with as little backtracking as possible. The sooner your shopping is complete, the better, because the sea of humanity that is shopping with you also needs to checkout. The lines get really long so the faster you get in, the faster you can get out.
6) Leave Early. Oh, yes.. the earlier, the better! Some people start camping out as much as a day in advance for limited quantity, big ticket items. If that's what you're after, plan on getting there as soon as possible or you'll miss out for sure. Even if you aren't looking for one of those items, plan on being there several hours in advance. Stores have become much more careful about how quickly they let people enter the store. Last year we arrived two hours early to Toys R Us and were already a couple hundred deep in the line. After they let the initial group of people into the store, they only let a handful enter at a time. It took a LONG time before we made it inside.
Follow these tips and get the best out of BLACK FRIDAY that you possibly can...
If you're in Pittsburgh, I'll be there visiting my in-laws and I'll be at Toys R Us at 2AM in the morning... :)