Simple and Stylish Summer Hair: A Quick How-To
To steal a line from the Wizard Of Oz..."I'm meeelllttiinnnggg!". It's hot and muggy 'round these parts, which is really messing with my fashion sense. Today I donned a sweet little sundress and left my hair down and straight. While I certainly left my house feeling like I was looking pretty good, I wasn't feelin' the love 2 hours later when I checked myself out in the rearview mirror.
What? Don't even pretend like you haven't done it.
So, for my second round of summer how-tos, I thought I would give you a tip on how to create the perfect, simple, summer ponytail. This looks chic, neat, and keeps you super cool.
To start, you'll need the following: a hairbrush, a hair elastic, about 6 bobby pins, some hairspray, and a small makeup brush. Gather all of these products, and find a mirror so that we can get started!
1. Make a side part in your hair, so that the majority of your hair is on one side of your head. Leave about an inch down on each side in the front, and then brush the rest of your hair directly backwards into a high ponytail. (You know, the kind that used to make your head hurt when you were younger!)
2. Secure your hair with a hair elastic. Take the pieces that were left down in the front, and brush them out, before sweeping each side behind one ear. Pin up any excess that you may have.
3. Use the back end of the makeup brush to slowly pull pieces of hair up and away from your head. Go slowly, and increase the height a little at a time. This take a little practice to get perfect, but basically we are creating the bumpit look without the bumpit. Once you get it right, spray it wildly with hairspray. (I cannot recommend enough the Elnett hairspray, as seen above. You can buy it in a drugstore, and it is a favorite of models and makeup artists everywhere.)
4. Take a piece from the middle of the ponytail in the back, and wrap it around the elastic band, to hide it. Use a bobby pin to hold it in place.
5. More hairspray. Especially those swept-behind-the-ear pieces in the front - or else that is the first place you'll notice frizz and flyaways.
Voila! That's it! An instant chic ponytail that, with a little practice, you can do in 5 minutes each morning so that you can stay cool for summer.