Hair & Makeup
Hair How-To: 7 Uber Glam Holiday Tutorials
If you're anything like me, you find the holiday party season exciting and yet simultaneously nauseating. While visions of sugar plum faries dance in my head and the holiday season shifts in to high gear I can't help but worry about a number of things - like what I'll wear, if I can pull off a red lip, and how to best style my hair for these numerous (supposedly joyous and stress-free) occasions. I mean - where in the world do I even begin? Do I need bobby pins? Hairspray? Should I even attempt to pull this off myself or should I let a professional handle it? (Answer: I was surprised to learn that I could create all 7 of these hairstyles on my own - no professionals needed!)
So, in the spirit of the season (giving, that is. Mixed with a little bit of panic and here-drink-this-it-will-calm-you-down) I thought I'd share with you a number of hair tutorials that will inspire you to get creative and make it through this holiday season in one piece.
1. Sexy Side Chignon. I love this messy side chignon because it is done, but not over-done. Low-swept curls make this style flirty and modern. I had a little trouble getting the chignon to look like a chignon and not a rats nest, but once I did it was a home run.
2. The Twisted Pony. I wear this style at least once a week because you can do it in 5 minutes flat with 3 bobby pins and a hair elastic. The perfect new "twist" on an old classic. (PS - I usually do this in the car using the rear view mirror. Not while I'm driving, though. I'm crazy, not stupid.)
3. The Vintage Vibe. A bit more polished than look number 2 - the keys to creating this perfectly polished look for me were dry shampoo, hairspray, and a lot of teasing to create height. And then some more teasing. We're talking just under Snooki level here.
4. The Top Knot. A more formal style than any of the above, the top knot is classic, clean, and simply stunning. The best part about this style is that it looks difficult to create, but it is actually very simple. A sleek ponytail quickly turned into a sexy top knot with some twists and pins. When I walked out of the bathroom in my pajamas and this top knot, my husband looked at me like I had lost my mind. Ahh, the life of a blogger.
5. The French Fishtail. This look takes a bit of practice to master but the payoff is well worth it. I had to try this one 4 times before I nailed it, but when I did it was gorgeous. The key it to create a sleek blowout before beginning to create this look for a finished product that is soft but sexy.
6. Halfsies. This is my personal favorite style of the bunch - I love it so much that I wore my hair very much like this on my wedding day. Perfect to pair with your little black dress - this look will never go out of style. (PS - some clip-in extensions take this look from hot to smokin'.)
7. A French Twist. Speaking of classic looks that never go out of style, I couldn't leave out the tried, tested, and true French Twist. The trick to getting this look right? Using chopsticks as place holders!
And as the french would say - voilà! Happy Holidays!