Your Fall Trend Forecast
As far as the department stores are concerned - bathing suits are out and sweaters are now in. It's late August and that means fall is officially in season - at least in the fashion world. If you like to stay a bit abreast of the latest fashion trends each season like I do, shopping this time of year can be a bit tricky. It's hard to know what trends to snatch up, and what trends to skip - especially when you aren't sure which of the "in" trends of the season will stick.
Lucky for you, I've decoded this fall season's hottest fashion trends and helped to build you a fashion 'cheat sheet' of sorts. Settle down with a glass of wine - here we go!
1. Leather. Oh yes, I said leather. You don't have to go head to toe leather - but try a little leather trim, or even a leather top - the key is to incorporate it without looking like a dominatrix. Good luck with that.
2. Giant coats. If the 80's and Kate Middleton's neat blazers had a love affair and a resulting child - this would be it. These giant coats will be everywhere in the fall - and while I'm not saying they're super flattering - I am saying they're super trendy. Pregnant women of the world are rejoicing right now. So are over eaters - but that's a subject for another post.
3. Printed Pants. Pants are packing quite the proverbial punch lately - especially pants with prints! (Yay, alliteration!) Though they've been around for a while, it seems that these will be getting a refresh for fall. This very retro-look is both ladylike and fashionable - but the key to pulling it off is pairing it with a solid top and keeping the pants cropped to the ankle.
4. Midi Skirts. Yes, I said midi, not mini. These knee-length or longer skirts are perfect for work - however they've gotten a bit of a sexy update for fall with a front slit. Also, the trend of high-low hem skirts this summer is sticking around and reinventing itself in some of our favorite midi skirts. My all-around favorite is this red skirt by Reiss - a brand favored by Kate Middleton.
5. Renaissance Woman. You know what they say - if it ain't Baroque - don't wear it. Ok, that's not exactly how it goes, but the more it looks like an ancient tapestry or a costume from Shakespeare in Love, the more you should want to wear it. Lots of embellishments, patterns, and sheen complete this look.