7 Reasons Why Kim Kardashian Will Be a Good Mother
I know what you are thinking-- how can a seemingly fame hungry and self-absorbed woman like Kim Kardashian pull off the ultimate in selfless feats - MOTHERHOOD?
If you are in the mom trenches, you are painfully aware that in order to truly be present for your kids, you need to put YOUR needs aside and make your little ones the focus of your attention…at all times. Most of us barely have time to change out of our yoga pants, let alone apply a full face of makeup or sit through a 3-hour hair appointment. Can Kim do this? Based upon her history, it would appear that this baby is simply another extension of her manufactured publicity campaign of a life.
BUT…there is something to be said for her drive – her ability to translate a sex tape into a million dollar empire and dedicated fan base. If she can harness that razor sharp sensibility she relied on to create her booming “career” into mothering her child- well- it's we may have a candidate for mother of the year on our hands! I asked several of my girlfriends for their opinions on Kim K. and whether she could potentially knock this motherhood thing out of the park. Here’s what they had to say:
1) Tania Reuben: She's successfully built an empire... that's not easy. (Now she just needs to channel that same perseverance into motherhood)
2) Shana Dieli: She has enough money to hire someone to raise her child so she doesn't screw it up. (Can anyone spell N-A-N-N-Y?)
3) Sandra Telep: She is very close with her family - and beyond the support they provide, that shows she's family oriented which goes a long way. Time and attention to your loved ones can make up for a lot of short comings. I probably wouldn't have predicted that Kourtney would be a very good mom and I think she does a fantastic job, so I won't write Kim off just yet!
4) Deborah Gilboa: She knows exactly what dysfunction looks like so perhaps she will notice it sooner so that her own child doesn’t succumb to its consequences?
5) Elissa Freeman: She's working with Victoria Beckham to define her maternity look (i.e. she will balance her bum with her belly and in short this kid will have if nothing else a rocking sense of style).
6) Eva Glettner: She knows how to take really good care of herself. She's a regular at my gym (Barry's Boot camp), so she has that going for her, which is nice. (AKA, her kid will likely always sport killers abs).
But all snarkiness aside, Alex Asher Sears made a final and interesting point - one we should all take into consideration when judging Kim.
7) Perhaps she'll make a good mother because she'll be a good mother. I know that's not going to grab any headlines, but moms bashing moms (well, not a mom yet myself) - is that something we want to promote? Is that the message we want to send kids? Let her make mistakes (or not) and judge her based on that. I don't have an opinion of her either way. I know people close to her and her family, but I'm not friends with her. But I do know what it is like for kids who grow up with parents in the spotlight and that in the years ahead they'll see what was written about them. We're responsible for those messages we put out there.
So what do you think? Will Kim K. make a good mama?