20 FREE & Cheap Summer Activities for Kids You Don't Want to Miss!
My kids are officially out of school for the summer! As excited as I am to take a break from making lunches and dropping off/picking up in packed lanes at the school, I also want to have some activities to do with the kids so they aren’t bored (and don’t drive me crazy!).
Here are some ways to have fun this summer without spending a fortune:
Sign up for Reading Programs
- Join the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program and kids will get a FREE book once they have read 8 and recorded them in the reading journal.
- Kids can receive 10 FREE tokens from Chuck E Cheese when their fill out a calendar- reading log.
- Kids can log their reading minutes with the Scholastic Summer Challenge and earn rewards.
- When kids read 300 minutes, they can earn Half-Priced Books Bookworm Bucks. Plus, one top reader per age group each month will win a $20 gift card.
Enjoy a Cheap Movie:
- Cinemark – 10 films for just $5 if purchased in advance at the box office or online OR $1 at the box office before the show.
- Harkins – 10 movies for less than $1 each. Times and days vary depending on location, so check the schedule online.
- Regal, United Artists, and Edwards – 9 weeks of movies on Tuesdays & Wednesdays at 10am. Admission is $1 a ticket. Check the schedule for the line-up of movies.
- Studio Movie Grill – 13 weeks of movies played Monday-Friday at 11am. Admission is $1 for a child and $2 for adults.
Check Out FREE Activities:
- The Target First program brings FREE and reduced-price events around the country. These are usually the first weekend of a month, but check the calendar and locations near you to be sure.
- Kids can bowl free at AMF all summer long. Simply register before going and take your confirmation page to your local AMF. You’ll get a membership card the first time you go that can be used all summer for 2 FREE games a day.
- More FREE bowling from KidsBowlFree.com. Kids can bowl 2 FREE games per day at participating bowling alleys.
- Check your local library for activities and events. You can also check out books, movies, music and more.
- If you are a Bank of America card holder, you can get FREE admission to museums around the country the first weekend of each month.
- Enjoy a FREE National Park on August 25 as a final summer activity before school starts.
- LEGO fan at home? Every month LEGO stores offers FREE LEGO Builds for kids 6 – 14 year old.
Explore FREE Craft Projects
- Lowes Kids Clinic lets kids build projects to take home. Themes are usually aligned with upcoming holidays. Space is limited so be sure to register.
- Pottery Barn Kids offers FREE events and activities each month. Check the schedule for details.
- Home Depot Kids Workshops are offered the first Saturday of every month between 9am-12pm. All kids get to keep their craft and receive a FREE Kids Workshop Apron, commemorative pin and certificate of achievement. This is for ages 5-12.
- Lakeshore Learning Center also has FREE craft projects for kids every Saturday from 11am to 3pm.
- Michael’s offers FREE craft projects on various days (and usually the weekends) through the month for kids and adults.
Know of more FREE or cheap activities for kids this summer? Leave a comment and let us know!