Gluten Free Recipes
A Gluten Free Halloween Recipe: Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
If you’re looking for a gluten-free fall treat for the kids, try these pumpkin flavored and shaped Rice Krispie treats. They’re perfect for a Halloween or harvest party.
Regular Rice Krispies are not gluten free because they contain barley malt, but there are other options. Kellogg’s also makes gluten-free Rice Krispies which are made from brown rice. Erewhon sells a gluten-free Crispy Brown Rice Cereal which is certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization. Many health food stores sell the Erewhon cereal.
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 10 ounces large marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- chunks of chocolate
1. Melt the butter or margarine in a large pot.
2. Add the pumpkin, stir, and heat through.
3. Add the marshmallows. Heat and stir until melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the pumpkin pie spice.
5. Let sit until the mixture reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step is important to keep the cereal from becoming soggy.
6. Stir in the cereal with a spatula, folding until the cereal is evenly coated.
7. Refrigerate until firm enough to hold together.
8. Shape into balls. Press a chunk of chocolate into the center of each ball.
Note: Add a little orange food coloring to the marshmallow mixture for a stronger orange color.