Gluten Free Recipes
A Gluten Free Hanukkah Recipe: Potato Latkes
Potato Latkes are a favorite traditional Hanukkah food, but these delicious potato pancakes can be enjoyed by anyone.
If this is your first year having a gluten-free Hanukkah, don’t worry about missing out on the potato latkes. They can easily be made gluten free by using rice flour or a gluten-free flour mix.
If your family has a recipe they always use, you should be able to stick to that and simply substitute the flour. Using starchy russet potatoes helps the pancakes to hold together and may reduce the amount of flour needed.
Happy Hanukkah! Enjoy your latkes!
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel and grate the potatoes or shred with a food processor.
2. Place the shredded potatoes in the middle of a large piece of cheese cloth or cotton dish towel. Pull the cheese cloth up around the potatoes, then squeeze while holding it over a bowl. Remove as much liquid as possible.
3. In a mixing bowl stir together the potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, salt, and pepper.
4. Cover the bottom of an electric skillet with vegetable oil. Set the temperature to 375°. Allow the oil to get hot.
5. Using a large serving spoon, scoop up some potato mixture and gently place it in the skillet. Then use the back of the spoon to flatten it into a pancake. Repeat.
6. Cook each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
7. Place the cooked pancakes on a plate lined with a paper towel.
8. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.