Gluten Free Recipes
Better Than Take-Out: Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Stir fry can be a delicious and healthy meal, but if you are on a gluten-free diet, it’s not a meal that you can order at a restaurant (at least not usually). The reason is because of soy sauce.
Many brands of soy sauce, especially those used in restaurants, contain wheat and therefore gluten. However, if you love stir fry, don’t give up hope. P.F. Chang’s has a gluten-free menu.Their soy sauce on the table is not gluten-free, but they can bring you a gluten-free sauce. Be sure to let your waiter know that you need a gluten-free meal when ordering.
You can also purchase gluten-free soy sauce for use in cooking at home. My favorite is San-J Wheat Free Tamari which can be found in health food stores and at Amazon.
Those who are on a soy-free diet can still enjoy stir fry with Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos, which can also be found at health food stores and Amazon. I have been using this in place of soy sauce for over a year now, and my family has not noticed the difference.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups cut broccoli
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sugar to the chicken and mix to combine.
- Let the chicken sit to marinate while you cut the broccoli and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms. Stir fry 3 – 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender crisp and the mushrooms are soft. Remove to a bowl.
- Put an additional tablespoon of oil in the skillet and add all of the chicken mixture. Stir and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine the wine, water, and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the skillet and stir while cooking until thickened.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms to the chicken in the skillet and heat until the broccoli is hot through.
- Serve with rice.