Birthday Party Idea: Fairy Wand Cookies (Recipe)
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, melted
10 Popsicle sticks
small dragées, to decorate
1. Beat the butter, sugar and egg with electric mixer until creamy. Add the flour. Using your hands, press the mixture together to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush a large baking sheet with melted butter or oil. Roll out the dough between sheets of waxed paper to ¼ inch thick. Cut the dough into twenty stars, using a star-shaped cutter. Arrange on the baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on the trays.
3. Place 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate on the flat side of half the cookies. Spread out to cover.
4. Attach the stick and sandwich the remaining cookies over the chocolate and press together. Allow the chocolate to set.
5. Drizzle the remaining chocolate over the stars. Decorate with dragées and allow to set.
Credit: Ready, Steady, Spaghetti: Cooking For and With Kids. $19.99, Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC.
Photo credit: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC.