Health & Fitness
5 Ways to Get Greens Into Your Diet (even your kids will eat them this way!)
One of my new year’s resolutions was to add more greens to my diet. But who wants a salad all the time. So I’ve been experimenting with simple ways to make them a part of my diet so that even my kids will eat them.
I love spinach on it’s own, but because it’s so neutral you can also add to different foods and pump up the health factor.
- Garlic Sautee - My favorite is just to add a little olive oil, garlic and salt. Then sautee.
- Spinach Smoothies -I like to add it to my son’s fruit smoothies, adds vitamins without changing the flavor. If your kids are afraid of anything green, just add to a blueberry smoothie. Blueberries mask the green color.
- Spinach Muffins- Add 1 cup diced to any muffin recipe.
- Substitute your Iceberg with a leafy green like Romaine.
- You can also use it as a wrap instead of bread.
- Or use it a chip with your favorite dip.
- Make them into Chips. Wash, dry, tear leaves off stems. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning (salt, garlic, parmesan etc) bake at about 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
- Most people boil them, but I find if you stir-fry them with an asian flair they are really tasty. I stir-fry them with a clove of diced garlic, 1/2 a diced onion (adds sweetness), and add a little soy sauce and sesame oil. Kale tastes great this way too.
- It’s good steamed or raw. Usually if I add a dip like hummus or ranch dressing my kids will eat it, but you can also try it as a slaw.
- Just cut up the stalks into thin slivers and mix with your favorite dressing.