Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Beef Stew
As I look out my window and see daffodils blooming along with a few flurries of snow in the air, I am reminded that while spring is almost here, it’s not here just yet.
March’s brisk temperatures and blustery winds can mean perfect weather for beef stew. And since spring vegetables haven’t arrived yet, it’s a good seasonal meal that makes use of carrots and potatoes.
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and if you’d like to add an Irish flair to this recipe, try adding gluten-free beer. There are several varieties available including Bard’s, Estrella Damm Daura, New Grist, New Planet, and Redbridge.
Gluten-free beers are sold at a variety of stores and restaurants. Sometimes you have to look around, but checking out the company’s store locator online is probably the easiest way to find a gluten-free ale.
Serve with gluten-free cornbread.
- 2 pounds stew meat, cubed
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free beef broth
- 12 ounces gluten-free beer (optional)
- Place the meat in the crock pot. Sprinkle the flour, salt, and pepper over top and stir to coat the meat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Stir and remove the bay leaf before serving.
Serve with a tossed salad.
More Comfort Food Recipes: