Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten-Free Valentine’s Day Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes
Finding gluten-free candy for Valentine’s Day can be tricky. It’s not uncommon for chocolate treats to contain barley malt, such as Lindt truffles. Gluten is found in wheat, rye, and barley, so malt is off limits.
In addition, chocolates that do not contain gluten in their ingredients are often processed on equipment or in facilities that process gluten-containing products. The result can be enough gluten contamination to cause a reaction.
You can find more information on gluten-free Valentine’s candy at About.com. Personally, I stay away from Valentine’s candy and chocolates. My husband usually buys me flowers, and I make a homemade treat for the whole family to enjoy.
These cherry chocolate cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day. I have non gluten-free friends who love this recipe!
Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 21 ounces gluten-free cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup hot black coffee
- chocolate frosting (look for a brand that says “gluten-free”)
- 20 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 20 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Quickly spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray. Fill the empty muffin wells half way with water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, starches, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum.
- Add the eggs, pie filling, and extracts, and stir together with a large spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add the coffee and mix gently until combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each lined cup 3/4ths full.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack and add chocolate frosting when cooled.
- Rinse and pat dry the cherries. Add one to the top of each cupcake before serving.