Help to End Child Hunger in the United States
It could be a kid next door or the child who sits next to yours in school or on the bus ride home: a child who wonders whether or not there will be dinner when they get home, or if breakfast will be served before school the next day.
In the United States, 1 in 4 children can't be sure how or when their next meal will arrive.
This is why ConAgra Foods has partnered with Feeding America to help end child hunger in our nation, starting with Child Hunger Ends Here, a program that seeks to end the hunger of 17 million children in the United States. That hunger can affect their ability to concentrate and learn. It can affect their test scores and overall academic performance.
How can you help?
1. Go shopping. Now through May 31, 2010, ConAgra Foods will donate one meal to Feeding America for every product purchased from one of these seven brands: Banquet®, Chef Boyardee®, Healthy Choice®, Manwich®, Marie Callender's®, Orville Redenbacher's®, Peter Pan Peanut Butter®.
Show your support by purchasing products within these brands. Whether you choose to donate them to a local food drive or incorporate them into some of your favorite recipes, you'll be helping ConAgra Foods provide meals to hungry children each time you do.
2. Host a neighborhood rally. Go to Child Hunger Ends Here and sign up to host an event. Gather people in your community to have a bake sale, yard sale, carnival or other community event that you're already planning, and donate a percentage of the proceeds to Feeding America. Money raised and food collected will benefit those in your very own neighborhood. After you register, you'll receive from ConAgra Foods a toolkit that includes coupons, banners and more, to help make your rally a success. (Register early to ensure you get yours.)
Some ideas for a rally include:
A food drive that encourages people to donate items from one of the seven participating ConAgra Foods brands.
A charitable dinner or breakfast where people purchase their meal ticket, using the pancake breakfast fund-raiser model.
A movie night for families, featuring a recently released movie. Ask a church or school to donate a large video projector and the space. Serve Orville Redenbacher's® popcorn at the event.
3. Donate. Short on time? You can make a donation to Feeding America directly. Every dollar donated equals seven meals for children in need.
4. Bid on celebrity items. On April 12, check out ConAgra's Child Hunger Ends Here Neighborhood Rally online rummage sale at ClothesOffOurBack.org. They'll have a variety of celebrity items online for auction, with all of the proceeds going to Feeding America to help end child hunger now. You can also check out highlights from an event with “Desperate Housewives” star Dana Delany.
5. Spread the word through social networking. Whether you're on Twitter, Facebook or have a blog, take a moment to mention the Child Hunger Ends Here campaign and help get the word out. You can also follow ConAgra Foods on Facebook and Twitter and Feeding America on Facebook and Twitter to follow along with their efforts.
Visit the Child Hunger Ends Here site today and get started on helping make a difference in the lives of the children in your community. After all, they are the future of our nation.
Shaina Olmanson is the home cook and photographer behind Food for My Family, where she shares recipes, tips, opinions and her philosophy on food as she strives to teach her four children how to eat well: seasonally, locally, organically, deliciously and balanced.