Very Berry Pound Cake
Pound cake is good, but pound cake with a fruity topping is heaven! Two things I love about this recipe are: 1) You can use any fruit you like, and 2) If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought pound cake.
This is a beautiful dessert to serve up at get-togethers! How fun would it be to make two or three different versions with various fruits so that people can make their own using the fruit they love the most.
For the pound cake
- 1/2 pound butter (or 2 sticks), a little extra for the pan
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, a little extra for the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the fruit topping
- 1 cup of strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup of bananas (sliced)
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Whipped cream (optional) I didn’t use it but it would be good!
First, preheat oven to 350°. CAKE: Cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each one. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to the previous mixture, alternating it with milk. Mix in vanilla. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans (2 of them) and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick comes out clean.
During the last 10 minutes of baking time, heat a nonstick skillet and add your butter, sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar, and fruit. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Take out pound cake, cool, and slice. Pour sautéed fruit mixture over pound cake and devour!
Serve with whipped cream if you like.