Cooking With Kids: Cauliflower In Cheese Sauce
1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons butter
3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Steam or microwave the cauliflower for a few minutes until just tender. Arrange the cooked cauliflower in a shallow, ovenproof baking dish.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until golden.
3. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring until completely smooth between each addition.
4. When all the milk has been added, keep stirring over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens. Simmer for 1 minute, still stirring.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add almost all the cheese, reserving a couple of tablespoons. Stir until the cheese has melted.
6. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese combined with the bread crumbs.
7. Place under a broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese on top has melted and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
Credit: Ready, Steady, Spaghetti: Cooking For and With Kids. $19.99, Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC.
Photo credit: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC.