Gluten Free Recipes
Easy, Versatile Brown Rice Salad (Recipe)
The other morning my husband walked into the room holding a plate of food. I couldn’t see what was on the plate and I hadn’t cooked any breakfast. He asked, “Is this supposed to be eaten warm or cold?” I immediately answered, “It can be eaten either warm or cold.”
He replied, “How did you know what I was talking about?” I answered, “Because the brown rice salad in the refrigerator can be eaten either warm or cold, and I knew it was the only food we had around that you would ask that question about.”
That’s what I love about this salad, besides the fact that it doesn’t require any special gluten free ingredients and it’s delicious. It’s very good warm, but it’s also great packed as a cold meal that you can eat on a picnic or at the pool.
And, as the story above shows, it can be eaten for any meal. I originally made it for dinner, but my husband used the leftovers for breakfast. This brown rice salad is an all-around versatile meal.
Brown Rice Salad
The following ingredients are usually gluten free, but could possibly contain gluten. If you are on a gluten-free diet, be sure to read labels and check the gluten-free status of your ingredients.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, cut in small chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions.
2. Combine the mayonnaise, salad dressing, and mustard.
3. When the rice is done cooking, add the ham and green onions to the pot and mix.
4. Add the mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate for several hours and serve cold.