Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten Free (and Dairy-Free) Chicken and Broccoli Chowder Recipe
Cold winter weather can make a person long for comfort foods. Soup is one of those foods, and I think chowders in particular are satisfying and comforting. When I went dairy-free, I thought I would have to give up chowders, but to my delight, I have found them to be delicious when made with substitutes.
This chicken and broccoli chowder is a perfect example. My husband and kids have always loved it, and I was sure they would not like a dairy-free version as well. I was happy to be proven wrong. I use almond milk and sometimes coconut milk in this recipe, and my family loves it just same.
Gluten-free bread sticks would be a perfect accompaniment and add to the comfort factor of this soup.
Chicken and Broccoli Chowder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 10 - 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter (or dairy-free substitute)
- 2 cups milk (or milk substitute), divided
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the chicken broth to boiling in a large pot.
- In a skillet, melt the butter or margarine and sauté the onion and celery until soft. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add the broccoli to the boiling broth along with the sautéed vegetables. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until the broccoli is just tender.
- Mix together 1 cup cold milk and rice flour. Add to the soup and stir. Heat to boiling and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, remaining 1 cup milk, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Heat until hot through.