Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten Free and Low-Carb Ham and Spinach Frittata Recipe
Frittatas are a nice way to use fresh vegetables, such as spinach. They can also be a creative way to use leftover ham.
A frittata can be served for any meal, but this egg dish is especially perfect for breakfast or brunch. It’s similar to a quiche, but without a crust. Frittatas are a naturally gluten-free and low carbohydrate meal. You could add gluten-free toast or potato latkes if you’d like to beef up the meal.
Be sure to use an oven-safe skillet as frittatas are started on the stove top and finished in the oven.
Spinach and Ham Frittata Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil or high heat oil of choice
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a 12 inch cast iron or oven safe skillet, heat the oil on medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for several minutes.
- Add the garlic. Stir and cook until fragrant.
- While the onion is cooking, chop the spinach. I used a food processor, but chopping by hand or cutting it with kitchen scissors would work too.
- Add the spinach to the skillet. Stir and heat for several minutes.
- Add the ham, parsley, and thyme. Stir and heat through.
- In a bowl, whisk together (or use a food processor) the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs over the spinach mixture in the skillet. Do not stir, but gently move the spinach around a little to allow the egg to settle in and reach the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat about five minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake about 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving plate and cut in wedges to serve.