Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten Free Bread Sticks Recipe
One of the foods that people miss most when on a gluten-free diet is bread. Making a large rounded loaf of gluten-free bread is difficult to do, but smaller breads are pretty easy.
These bread sticks can be made in about half an hour. They don’t require rising time, and you don’t even need to preheat the oven (in fact, you shouldn’t). They are perfect for serving with soup on a cold fall day.
Gluten Free Bread Sticks
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant or bread machine yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk or milk substitute (105°-115°)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg white, beaten
1. Grease a large baking sheet.
2. Cut 1/2 inch off one corner of a quart size plastic bag.
3. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the sorghum flour, starches, xanthan gum, onion and garlic powders, salt, sugar, and instant yeast.
4. Add the milk, oil, and vinegar and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
5. Add the dough to the plastic bag, pressing the dough into the cut corner and twisting the bag closed behind the dough. Squeeze the dough onto the baking sheet in 6 inch long ropes.
6. Brush the tops with the beaten egg white.
7. Place the baking sheet into a cold oven and set the temperature to 400°.
8. Begin timing when the oven is turned on and bake about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Serve warm.
Makes approximately 12 bread sticks.