Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Trifle Recipe
Looking for a delicious dessert to serve this Memorial Day? Consider making a trifle. Trifles are always delicious and moist, and since the cake is broken into pieces, you don’t have to worry about the cake turning out perfectly.
All you need to make a trifle is a baked cake, fruit, and pudding or something of similar consistency. This lemon blueberry trifle uses lemon curd and blueberry topping instead of pudding. Both are full of flavor which really makes this dessert shine.
If you’re looking for shortcuts, try buying a cake mix, lemon curd, and blueberry pie filling. If you are gluten-free, however, there are several things to consider. Some gluten-free cake mixes make only one layer, and you need two layers of cake. Lemon curd and blueberry pie filling can contain gluten. Making your own is not only more flavorful, but you can be sure it is gluten free.
Avoiding dairy? No problem! Make the cake with milk and butter substitutes and skip the whipped cream topping. That’s what I do!
Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Trifle Recipe
- 1 recipe yellow cake (any 2-layer cake will work)
- 1 recipe lemon curd
- 1 recipe blueberry topping
- 2 cups sliced bananas
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- whipped cream (optional)
- Bake and cool the yellow cake.
- Prepare the lemon curd and let it sit until no longer hot but still warm.
- Prepare the berry topping and let it sit until no longer hot.
- Slice the bananas and toss them with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Drain.
- Break half the cake into large chunks and put them in the bottom of a trifle bowl or other large bowl.
- Spoon half the blueberry topping on the cake, placing it in evenly distributed spots (it will not completely cover the cake).
- Place half the bananas in a single layer on top.
- Spoon half the lemon curd over the bananas, letting it run down the sides of the bowl.
- Repeat layers of cake, blueberry topping, bananas, and lemon curd.
- With a table knife, stick straight down into the trifle at various spots to allow the lemon curd to run down into the cake.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.