Gluten Free Recipes
Gluten Free Sausage and Potato Chowder Recipe
I’ve always loved potatoes served in any manner, but a thick soup is one of my favorite ways to eat them. This soup is flavored with onion and sausage, and carrots add a cheesy orange color. By the time the soup is done, though, your kids will never even know there are carrots in it.
My family loves this soup, and when I went dairy free I thought I would have to live without it. I was wrong. A butter substitute works just fine and almond milk works so well that my family didn’t notice the difference.
Gluten-Free Sausage and Potato Chowder
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup butter or substitute
- 4 cups sliced potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth (be sure it’s gluten free)
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, cook and crumble the sausage until done. Drain.
- In the bottom of a large saucepan, sauté the onion and carrot in the butter.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft when stuck with a fork.
- With a hand potato masher, break up the potatoes until they are only small lumps.
- Add the rice flour to the cold milk and blend with a fork. Add to the potato mixture.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat and add the cooked sausage. Heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.