Gluten Free Recipes
Kid, Budget and Time Friendly Cheeseburger Rice (Recipe)
Kid friendly, budget friendly, quick, easy, and gluten free, this meal is perfect for a family that’s on-the-go.
This recipe is difficult to mess up. You can vary the amounts of ingredients or omit them. If your kids don’t like onions, leave it out or try adding a little onion powder. If they don’t like mustard, it’s not necessary to the recipe.
You can also vary the amounts of beef, rice, ketchup or cheese to go with your family’s tastes. Two of us in my family do not eat dairy so I serve the cheese separately. Sometimes even the cheese eaters prefer it without cheese.
While most of these ingredients are naturally gluten free, be sure to read labels for products such as ketchup or mustard. Mustard in particular occasionally contains gluten, but it’s usually a specialty mustard.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet, brown the beef and sauté the onion. Drain.
2. Add the ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper and mix.
3. Stir in the cooked rice and heat until hot through.
4. Sprinkle the cheese over top, or mix it in.