Low-Carb Side Dish Alternative: "Smashed" Cauliflower Recipe
The first time someone suggested eating mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, I thought they were crazy. Mashed potatoes were a favorite of mine since childhood. How could mashed cauliflower ever replace them?
Now, I rarely eat mashed potatoes, and my whole family enjoys mashed cauliflower as a substitute. Of course, it's not exactly the same. A substitute never is, but substitutes aren’t necessarily worse. They’re just different.
If you limit your potatoes for reasons such as weight loss or diabetes, or if you simply want to try a new twist on a vegetable, consider mashed cauliflower. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Smashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons butter or substitute
- 1/4 cup milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Wash and cut the cauliflower.
- Steam it until all parts are tender. Drain.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and garlic and mash with an electric hand mixer, or for a very smooth consistency use a hand (immersion) blender.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.