Gluten Free Recipes
Picnic Recipe: Italian Sausage and Quinoa
Summer is a time of cookouts and picnics where pasta salads frequently make an appearance. Of course, if you’re gluten free, those dishes are off limits, and while there are good gluten-free pastas available, I have yet to find one that works well in a cold salad.
Quinoa is a healthy pasta alternative. You can use it in many dishes where pasta would be used. It’s not necessarily best for a saucy dish, but for recipes that are tossed together, quinoa works great.
This recipe makes a healthy summer dinner that your family is sure to like, and it would be a welcome addition to any cookout or picnic.
Gluten-Free Italian Sausage and Quinoa
Please check all ingredients to be sure they are gluten free, especially the broth and sausage.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausages
- 1 pound fresh broccoli crowns
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions using the chicken broth in place of water.
- Cook the Italian sausages in a skillet or on the grill until done in the center.
- Cut the sausages into 1/4 inch slices.
- Wash, cut and steam the broccoli until just tender.
- Add the basil, parsley, and salt to the cooked quinoa and toss to combine.
- Put the cut sausage and broccoli into a large bowl. Add the quinoa and toss to combine.
Note: Gluten-free pasta can be used in place of quinoa. Add 3 Tablespoons olive oil to the cooked pasta along with the basil, parsley, and salt.