Gluten Free Recipes
Slow Cooker Meatloaf and Potatoes (Gluten Free Recipe)
Meatloaf is a classic family favorite, but when made traditionally in a loaf pan it takes a long time to bake. Most of us don’t have time to mix the meatloaf and bake it on a week night.
Using a slow cooker allows you to start dinner earlier in the day and have it ready at meal time. In this recipe, potatoes are cooked with the meatloaf, so all you need to do is add some vegetables to the meal.
Much of the preparation for this meal can be done the night before. Mix the meatloaf ingredients and the glaze the ingredients and scrub the potatoes. Then in the morning cut the potatoes and assemble everything in the slow cooker.
There are two ingredients in most meatloaf recipes that can pose a problem for people on a gluten-free diet. The obvious one is bread crumbs. You can use gluten-free bread crumbs, or try Betty Crocker Potato Buds (instant potatoes).
Worcestershire sauce is the other problem ingredient. It is not always gluten free so you need to be sure to read the label. At this time Lea & Perrins is gluten free according to their web site.
Slow Cooker Meatloaf and Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Betty Crocker Potato Buds
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder or a small chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into approximately 1 1/2 inch size chunks.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker and add the water.
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Mix it together with your hands or use a stand mixer on low speed.
- Remove the meatloaf from the bowl, use your hands to shape it into an oval. Place it on top of the potatoes and shape some more, pressing it towards but not touching the sides of the slow cooker.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and spread it evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours or until the meatloaf and potatoes are both cooked through.