The Perfect Summer Side Dish: Grilled Tomato Caprese Recipe
Grilling season is upon us and with Memorial Day next week, there are sure to be lots of cook outs. If you are anything like me, you often know what type of main dish to serve, but side dishes are a little more difficult.
This Grilled Tomato Caprese starts with a simple marinade using balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, a little brown sugar to add some sweetness, and a pinch of salt to bring all the flavors together. We used red tomatoes, but you can also use green tomatoes as well. The combination of tomatoes and mozzarella are classic, add Italian Sausage for extra flavor.
You can serve with Grilled Italian Sausage and fresh mozzarella cheese like we did, or leave them out for a delicious and easy grilled side dish.
Grilled Tomato Caprese Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium tomatoes - red or green, sliced thick
- 1 package fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Italian Sausage, optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped finely
1. Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar and salt in a large re-sealable bag
2. Slice tomatoes and add to marinade, refrigerate for at least 1 hour
3. Preheat grill to 350 - 400 degrees (medium-high) heat
4. Remove tomatoes from marinade, reserve marinade
5. Grill tomatoes, covered 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender and grill marks appear
6. Arrange on plate, add cheese and sausage
7. Drizzle with reserved marinade
8. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with basil