Are Your Hormones Healthy? Find Out Now!
*** Guest post by Alisa Vitti
Picture me 12 years ago, as I was, 200 pounds, covered face, chest and back in painful cystic acne, depressed, exhausted, and only getting my period twice a year. It was beyond frustrating to progressively be getting worse from the age of 15 and to have no one offer me any explanation as to what was happening to my body. After 7 years of stubborn weight and miserable symptoms, I discovered that I had a hormonal imbalance called PCOS. The picture my doctor painted for me for my future wasn’t pretty: obesity, diabetes, infertility, heart disease, cancer. I changed my hormonal destiny and now I help women everywhere do the same.
Within a year of developing my 5 step protocol that’s the basis of WomanCode, my health and life had a complete turnaround. I lost 60 pounds, my skin cleared, and I have been menstruating monthly for the past 12 years! For the past decade from my center in Manhattan, I’ve been helping women all over the U.S. with menstrual issues, fertility challenges, and low libido.
For most women weight loss is a hormonal game and excess weight can make hormonal symptoms much worse. Hormones affect everything. If you have other hormonal symptoms – like acne, oily hair, dandruff, dry skin, cramps, headaches, irritability, exhaustion, constipation, irregular cycles, heavy bleeding, clotting, shedding hair, weight gain, anxiety, insomnia, infertility, lowered sex drive, or bizarre food cravings – then weight loss can feel almost impossible. Your body is not irrational, it’s hormonal, and learning how to harness these hormones to get them working for you is the key to looking and feeling the way you want to!
In WomanCode, I share my 5 step nutritional protocol to help you do just that. The desire to lose weight often stems from the desire to feel better and for women – that means feeling hormonally better – whether you have period problems, want to get pregnant naturally or improve IVF cycles, or have a hotter sex drive. Eating the WomanCode way will help you lose weight, shrink fibroids, regulate periods, lift anxiety and depression, get pregnant after an has IVF failed, transition off the pill without having pre-pill symptoms return, and recover your energy and uncover your passion and purpose in life. Eating this way will also change the way your genes express hormonal balance in your body! You can change your hormonal destiny. It’s time for a new normal for women’s health, and food is the answer!
Some of the principles I share in WomanCode are:
1. Eliminate “FLO Blockers”. Certain beauty products, cleaning products, and other miscellaneous products contain chemicals that mimic estrogen in the body and make it impossible for you to lose weight successfully and make hormonal symptoms much worse.
2. Feed Your Hormones Happy. Using food in the right sequence and the right type is the key to changing and improving the way your endocrine system functions from blood sugar stabilization, adrenal support, to estrogen metabolism so that you balance your hormones, lose weight faster, and eliminate frustrating symptoms! Eating the WomanCode way will have you increasing plant based foods, fermented foods, nutrient dense foods that will supercharge your body with the tools it needs to build better hormonal function.
3. Synchronize Your Food With Your Cycle. Learn to use key foods and lifestyle changes to optimize each of the 4 phases of the menstrual cycle for a symptom free month. Not only will you experience a “new normal” of feeling good all month, but you will also get estrogen working for you in terms of weight loss.
4. Super Foods For a Super Fertile and Super Sexy You. Learn the science of which foods (and the super nutrients they contain) can improve your fertility and supercharge your sex drive. You’ll learn which nuts, seeds, vegetables, and healthy fats are a sexy woman’s best friend.
5. WomanCode Survival Strategies. I’ll give you my best methods, tried and true techniques to avoiding the all too common weight and hormonal balance saboteurs from holidays, vacations, eating out, office parties to the exact foods and supplements to use to quickly recover from skipped meals, too much alcohol, and lack of sleep – all which wreak havoc on your hormones and waistline!
FLOliving.com’s Nine Nurturing Food & Lifestyle changes for easier periods, improved fertility, and supercharged sex drive:
1. Dramatically decrease white flour and refined sugar to keep insulin levels stable for better ovulation and to decrease exposure to gluten, a studied fertility inhibitor
2. Choose organic produce, pasture fed animal proteins, and natural beauty products to reduce exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals, hormones, and pesticides.
3. Eat one cup of steamed dark leafy green vegetables per day to help keep estrogen levels balanced. They are rich in calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin E – all extremely important for healthy cycles and fertility.
4. Have organic, free range eggs with the yolk for a boost of the following fertility and sex drive enhancing nutrients: Vitamin D3, Vitamin A and Vitamin K2 – all essentials for hormone production.
5. Eat Avocados for improved IVF cycles, natural conception and improving mood and energy for sex.
6. Reduce soy products.The phytoestrogen in soy can exacerbate estrogen dominant symptoms and conditions like PMS, PCOS, fibroids, endometriosis, infertility and low libido.
7. Eat wild salmon. If you’re struggling with anxiety, depression, irritability and/or insomnia these all indicate lower levels of Omega 3 fatty acids which help promote healthy progesterone levels and reduce PMS.
8. Take a B 100 complex. I like Jarrow B-right best (must be taken on a FULL stomach). B vitamins are ESSENTIAL for stabilizing hormones, mood, and energy
9. Swap coffee for Rooibos Chai Tea. The combination of cinnamon and other spices has a benefit of increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs, and can help you get in the mood faster
Learn more about WomanCode and the WomanCode System at floliving.com.
Alisa Vitti is the best selling author of WomanCode and the founder of FLOLiving.com.