DIY Mother's Day Gift: Teapot Card & Magnet
Mother's Day may be a holiday manufactured by the flower industry but, hey, we deserve it! Here's a little teapot craft that works as a card, photo frame, and little gift from the kids.
- foam craft sheet or oak tag (poster board) in a bright, cheerful color
- teapot template (click here to download and print)
- foam markers, stickers, other materials to decorate the frame
- a cute photo
- magnetic strips or tape (optional)
- tea bag
- white paper
1. Trace the teapot on the back of the foam sheet or oak tag. We used foam because it is a bit more durable and it is fun to use different materials.
2. Cut out the teapot shape, including the center oval--that's where the cuteness happens!
3. Cut a 1" slit at the "lid" of the teapot.
4. Decorate the frame--go wild with markers, glitter, and stickers! My kids had so much fun with this stage and it occupied them for a good while. Younger kids might need a little help peeling the backs from stickers but let them try it unless they get frustrated--peeling stickers is good fine motor practice and a lesson in patience.
5. Trim the photo and put it into the frame.
6. Add magnetic tape or magnet strips. If you prefer, you can instead fold a piece of thin cardboard and glue to the back as a stand.
7. Insert the tag of a tea bag through the slit.
8. Write or print a short poem, such as: "I'm a little teapot, cute and sweet. Have a cup...a Mother's Day treat!" or "Have a Tea-rrific Mother's Day!" Glue your message to the tag.
Once Mom, Grandma, or Auntie enjoys the tea, she can display the framed picture!