Top 10 Things to do with Free Time (When you can find some!)
By Laura Sussely-Pope, Pregnancy.org
Yes, we hear you saying, “What free time?” Let’s assume you can carve some out. All kidding aside, you really should try to do that – a rejuvenated, happy mom is a good mom.
When you find yourself with some free time, it’s tempting to use it for housework, paying bills, or getting work done. That’s not a good way to use your precious free time to decompress. We’ll make an exception when making phone calls to friends.
Here are some good ways to spend your free time:
- Read a book or magazine. It’s easier than ever to get the latest reading material with iPads and smartphones making them available at your fingertips.
- Watch “guilty pleasure” or meaningless TV. We all have those shows that we are tempted to turn off if someone walks in on us watching them.
- Go for a long walk. Take your iPod and find a good walking trail and just walk. Literally stop and smell and the flowers. It’s just you, your music, the birds and the scenery.
- Take a nap. This one may be more appealing to those with new babies who are up all night. Get cozy on the couch, grab that book, a cup of tea, and let yourself drift off to dreamland.
- Get together with friends and go out to lunch or a movie. When was the last time you saw a movie that didn’t have a Muppet in it?
- Go shopping. No, not grocery shopping -- shopping for YOU. Even if it’s just window shopping, go to your favorite mall and enjoy going into your favorite stores and looking around.
- Meditate. If you don’t know how, you’re not alone. There are lots of smartphone apps you can download, including “Mediation for Dummies.” You can do this even for just a few minutes.
- Work out. Go to your gym or if you work out at home, do it there. Enjoy a nice long workout, followed by a smoothie on the way home.
- Catch up on your scrapbooking or photo albums. How many times have you said you have got to catch those up? Now’s the time! It’s a fun activity and you will be happy with the results.
- Visit with a friend or family member. Have a nice long visit with a friend or family member who you rarely get to see. Enjoy a nice long lunch with your sister or mom. Remember how rarely you get to do this – this will be a treat for you and them.
How do you spend your free time? How do you manage to carve it out?