Just for Me
Top Five Things for Mom to Do When Kids Go Back to School!
By Laura Sussely-Pope, Pregnancy.org
What’s that you hear? The sounds of… silence? Yes, after three long months, the kids are back in school! The quiet is deafening. Are you finding yourself looking around not knowing where to start? Rather than getting overwhelmed, here are a few things we recommend to get your back-to-school start!
- Take an entire day off. Just relax. Catch up on some reading, email some friends, catch up on those Lifetime TV shows you have on your DVR (I like Dance Moms myself!) or spend time on your laptop catching up with friends and your favorite websites, like this one!
- Purge. If you didn’t get to spring cleaning – and let’s face it, many of us didn’t – there’s an excellent chance you didn’t get to it with the kids underfoot! So now is your chance. Pick one project at a time. The kitchen junk drawer, the kids’ closet or the hall closet perhaps. Get 3 bins, one for giveaway, one for throw away and one for keep. You might be amazed at how quickly you fill those up.
- Spend a day at the salon. Call a friend and go get a mani/pedi, maybe a massage or facial, too. Then enjoy a nice, quiet lunch. You’ll feel refreshed when the sound of little feet is back in the house!
- Spend time with your partner. Have your husband or partner play hooky. You have the house to yourselves for several hours. Have him take the morning off and spend it at home with you. I suspect you know how to spend your time. (Of course, you may also want to go to lunch with your partner – we don’t have a one track mind, really.)
- Invite neighborhood moms over and make it a regular event. Perhaps you can take turns at each mom’s house. You can have a book club, investment club, play cards, or just sit and chat. Sometimes staying home alone too often can be isolating. I know – right now, you can’t imagine not wanting alone time! But adult time with other adults can be pretty cool, too. If memory serves, that is….
When do your kids go back to school? Are you ready or more than ready?