5 Reasons Why Mommy Marijuana Parties Are a Bad Idea
There's a new trend in parties that is sweeping the nation – mommies getting together with their li'l tater tots in tow and throwing big ol' marijuana parties. Sounds crazy and like a reality TV show film script, right? How could parents be that irresponsible and so willing to put their kids in danger? Not to mention the fact that this is clearly not the best way to teach your kids right from wrong. Unfortunately, this is happening in real life – and these "Marijuana Moms of Beverly Hills" say taking drugs makes them better parents, and they compare ingesting marijuana to the Valium pills given to housewives in the 1960s.
And I get it – parenting is a tough job. It is a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week grind that never lets up. Small tyrants hold your sanity and patience hostage if the chicken nuggets you serve are round instead of square, and other stress-inducing incidents can occur up to several times an hour. Parenting full-time could drive, and has driven, women to hit the bottle, to abuse pills and gulp liquid courage, and now moms are saying they need marijuana to help them in their quest to master and manage the job of parenting their kids.
A recent article that details these cannabis-infused parties includes a confession from one mom, who smokes five times a day while caring for her two-year-old and reads her books about marijuana. I don't know about you, but I find something very wrong with this scenario.
Here are five reasons why I think mommy marijuana parties are a BAD IDEA.
1. You will be too baked to actually remember anything. To those parents who say that smoking weed makes them better parents, I say that the marijuana haze they are engulfed in will prevent them from remembering all those special parenting moments they are so intent on creating. They might spend the afternoon laughing – but if during that period their kid utters his first word, there is no chance they will remember it. Parenting fail No. 1.
2. You are teaching your kid that reality is bad and the only way to survive it is to escape it. By smoking marijuana on a daily basis these mothers are telling their kids that this world, their reality, is not enough on its own merit and needs to be enhanced with drugs to survive it. When you are five years old and this is your view on the world, well, the only logical next step will be hitting the crack pipe at six.
3. There's a really good chance you are setting your kid up for a life spent in jail. Medical marijuana may be legal in California, but what if your kid gets caught abroad with this stuff? Just think of the movie "Midnight Express." If that doesn't stop you from smoking, well, then you must be OK with sending your kid on a suicide mission.
4. If you have ever smoked weed, you are well aware that it very much impairs your judgment, your decision-making skills and ultimately your parenting. Are you prepared to deal with the repercussions after your little one or someone else's kid gets hurt or something even worse because you aren't fully aware of what is going on?
5. This is sh*tty parenting at its best. Just say no, and throw a "we are not ever going to smoke marijuana again party." Instead of a marijuana party, try hosting a tea party and substitute some petits fours and cucumber sandwiches for the marijuana.