The Art of Getting Gifts: Do You Do it Well?
Confession: I'm a terrible, terrible gift getter. I don't mean I'm terrible at getting gifts for YOU. I mean, I'm terrible at getting gifts from YOU. It's not that I'm unappreciative or thankful-- in fact, as you hand me a gift, I'm already crafting the hand-written thank you note. But it's more like, I wanted what you got me... UNTIL you got it for me. Then I want something else. And I feel disappointed that you got me what I wanted…is it too late to change my mind?
Going crazy by my crazy yet?
Don't blame you.
Okay, let me rewind here: When it comes to gift giving in a relationship: Do you and your significant other map out exactly what the other one wants/ desires, or do you do surprises only? I'm torn on this... The control freak/ 10 year old who loved providing a list of "wants" every birthday and holiday thinks the same system should be in place from partner to partner/ husband to wife, etc. That way, there's no confusion. No hurt. No disappointment. There's just getting and giving. Everyone gets what they want. The giver gets direction and the getter gets a gift (they want). No one wants to give a gift and have the getter hate it, right? I mean, remember when Aiden gave Carrie the pear shaped engagement ring and she hated it?? That was tragic... and she worried it was a symbol of a much larger issue: They were NOT on the same page.
PLUS – it kind of makes your already long “to do” list even longer when you have to return said present…and really, who has time for that? Not me.
On the other hand, there is no question that the element of surprise is special and thoughtful. Why should everything be mapped out and pre-determined? Surprise adds spark. It adds romance. It adds, "I love you. And I love to see you happy."
SO, my point is, (and yes, I do have a point), surprise, with a hint of direction is great. On that note, in case any of my friends and family are so inclined to read this post and walk away with some "take away" on the things *I* currently desire, (after all, my birthday IS just a few days away), I thought I'd share a short "wish list" of sorts....
1) Earthquake/ Emergency Kit: Um, hello. Could that be any LESS sexy??? But I need one. The other day our power went out and we couldn't find a flashlight. That's just inexcusable. So I'm thinking this would be a great gift, because it's something I'll never get for myself.
2) Series of Classes to my Workout/Gym. Self explanatory.
3) Gift certificate to my favorite Manicure/Pedicure salon. See above.
4) New Jeans. JBrands to be exact. In this case, the gift giver might as well just write me a check because there's no way to predetermine the size or shape of the ones that will work best. I just know it's fall time, and mama needs to duds. (See below)
5) BOOTS. BOOTS. BOOTS. I've been wearing the same knee boots for 5 years. I've had them resoled 4 times. It's time to kick them to the curb. Literally.
So there you have it. My wish list. There are other things I desire, of course, but in the spirit of surprise, I'll let you do the guessing... and then the giving!