10 Ways to Get an Instant Ego Boost
I don't know about you, but sometimes, when I'm stressed out at home or on the job, I always turn to my mom, who instantly provides the support and guidance I need to make me feel that no matter how difficult things may seem, it's all going to work out just fine. I truly treasure all she's done for me and that's why I'm planning to take my mom away for her birthday this weekend as we set off on an impromptu trip to Spain! I'll share more about our adventure in a future post, but right now, since we're on the topic of ways you can boost your ego when you're in a rut, I'd like to share some fabulous suggestions I received from my Facebook friends.
1. Call your mom! (suggested by amazing mom, writer and grandmother, Janie Lam Meyers.) I second that emotion. There's nothing like sharing a bad day with your parent and having them tell you that it's going to be okay.
2. Wear slutty shoes. An interesting idea submitted by Kim Marie Evans, founder of Luxury Travel Mom. I never thought of that one, especially since I'm usually in agony after I've worn painful high heel designer shoes but you never know, it could serve as an ego boost as long as the shoes are comfortable and don't cause blisters or bunions.
3. Call my girl friends...but normally I remind myself how I got here (Submitted by one of my favorite blogging moms, Mommy Niri). While I don't get the time to connect with my old friends as often as I'd like, I love hearing from them and catching up on lost time. Just the other day, my dear friend texted me a belated birthday message and said she missed me and that put a smile on my face the rest of the day!
4. "To be honest, I look (either literally or in my mind) at some of my past work that either made me very satisfied with myself, or got some reactions that pleased me greatly." -- Jay Bobbin, syndicated television writer and entertainment televison correspondent.
5. "When I need to boost my ego I cook for friends." --David Thomsen, TV producer.
6. "I would call you!" -- my dear friend Holli. Any time you can, surrounding yourself with optimistic people is always a great idea in my book and I try to cheer up my dear friends with humor, patience and an ear to listen.
7. PRAY! (submitted by Angel Carmel). A simple message that absolutely rings true when you share your personal thoughts, prayers for healing and well wishes for others.
8. "Hang out with my kids. There's no one who can articulate why they love me more sweetly than they can. Good for the soul." --Organization expert, Amanda Wiss
9. "Usually put on a fabulous pair of shoes!" Another sexy shoe vote comes from marketing expert and co-founder of Annie Wear, Pamela Pinta
10. "Hug my puppy!! She loves me no matter what!" says Travel Agent extraordinaire, Erika Harnett.
BONUS BOOST: Here's a funny one submitted by my friend Jocelyn Kenner - one of the best singers and sweetest women I know. "This is so cruel but here goes...I visit my mom in the assisted living facility and being in that "crowd" makes me feel young, attractive, hip, and totally with it!"
So there you have it. If you're feeling down in the dumps, pick one of my tried and true ego boost tips and before you know it, you'll be feeling a whole lot better about your situation. As the saying goes, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Or just wear a pair of slutty shoes and somehow, someway, everything will fall into place.