Keeping Cool at the Movies: 5 Flicks to See!
While most people love spending their summers at the beach or by the pool, I have a big confession to make. I'm not a big fan of bathing suit season. Perhaps it's the fact that I've got a pear shaped figure so a bathing suit doesn't quite cover up my pasty thighs and cankles (calves and ankles that appear to be the same size). Plus, whenever I crack open my drawer of swimsuits, I realize that yet another year has gone by and I still haven't lost the same 10 pounds I vowed to shed before the last July 4th weekend.
Rather than dwell on the things I don't like about this sticky, humid and body conscious time of year, I'm going to dive right into the one thing that always puts a smile on my face...summer movies!!! Since all the Lifetime Moms are sharing their favorite ways to stay cool this summer, I say - bring a sweater and chill out with these five feature films:
1. "Karate Kid" - This remake of the classic 1980's film which starred Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, now features Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in a story that will make you laugh, wince and cry - sometimes all at the same time! While I was hoping to see the classic "wax on, wax off scene" (come on - you know what I'm talking about) - there are some movie moments that are reminiscent of the original Daniel San - especially the final scene of the Kung Fu tournament when a wounded Dre must attempt to win the competition with a bum leg. But I don't want to give it all away - we thoroughly enjoyed the film and my son's friend has even seen it four times - with that kind of endorsement from a third grader, how could you honestly go wrong?
2. "Toy Story 3" - I don't care how old you are, this is a film that every member of your family will love. If you've seen the original movies, then you'll be happy to know that the entire gang is back together again as Andy heads off for college and Woody, Buzz and their pals are shipped off to a pre-school class filled with unruly kids. Determined to find their way back to Andy, the toys band together and plan to break out of the school. Personally, I think it's amazing that the producers have brought together all the original actors from the film with their unmistakable voices - from Tom Hanks to Tim Allen to John Rattzenberger (Cliff from "Cheers") and the hilarious Estelle Harris (George Costanza's mom from "Seinfeld") who nails it as Mrs. Potato Head! While a new generation of fans might not know these incredible performers, I sure do and personally, that makes my movie going experience that much more fun.
3. "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" - While I've never been a huge fan of the Twilight series, I can't deny my daughter, her friends and even a few of my girlfriends who actually trekked out at midnight to catch the recent premiere. Word on Facebook is that the film doesn't disappoint and it's actually one of the best installments yet. So if you're a Team Jacob or a Team Edward fan, put on your Twilight gear and get ready to be on the edge of your seat.
4. "Despicable Me" - Steve Carrell, Julie Andrews, Jason Segal and Miranda Cosgrove star in this laugh out loud animated movie that opens nationwide July 9. The moment you slip on your 3D glasses you'll be instantly entertained by a bumbling villain, three adorable orphans, a gaggle of goofy minions, a nerd in an orange track suit and a grandma with a biting edge - if that's not fun for the whole family, then I don't know what is! For my complete review of the film, visit Role Mommy and coming soon...interviews with the entire cast!
5. Jonah Hill Movie Marathon - While I initially thought that I would love the new film "Grown Ups," which stars Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and many more comedians in a film that reunites former basketball teammates after their coach passes away, I have to say - it was a total disappointment. In fact, I totally feel gypped to have suffered through this film on date night. I want a do over! Instead, I'm recommending two movies starring Jonah Hill that'll have you in stitches - "Get Him to the Greek" - which stars Hill as an aspiring record producer determined to reignite the career of Aldious Snow - who has fallen off the wagon after his latest single tanks and his pop star wife decides to dump him. This film is a spinoff of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" - which if you haven't seen, should be on your DVR or DVD rental list! Hill is also currently starring in "Cyrus" along with Marisa Tomei as his son! If that doesn't crack you up just thinking about that scenario, I don't know what will. So that's my Just for Fun tip of the week - avoid "Grown Ups" at all costs and opt for anything starring Jonah Hill!
Any summer films on your keeping cool list? Share your picks and I'll visit my favorite site for tix!