My Hot & Steamy Summer Reading List
Disclaimer: If you aren't into romance books, BEWARE.
I'm a romance junkie. Seriously, I have a problem. I read them all the time. The best was when recently I was packing for a trip and just downloaded books onto my NOOK and my husband came into the room and asked if I just bought the book, "Drunk Love Cowboy." He he he... yes, that was me.
It all started back in college. It was my freshman year. I had always loved romance movies growing up, there's just something about a happily-ever-after really making me - well, HAPPY. My Nana shared my love for romances, so on my first winter break of freshman year, she let me borrow one of her Danielle Steel's... and that was it. What I didn't know at that time was that both of my grandmothers shared books. Both with a passion for romance, too, they would each take turns buying and then sharing, and then talking about the books together when we'd have a family function, it was a book club of sorts.
And guess who wanted in after that fated Danielle Steel read?
Oh, yes. And the golden gate was opened. For YEARS I bought and shared books with my grandmothers. My Grandma and I still do it, we've just added in more romance authors. For me, it was a fun reading escape, and I got to do something with my grandmothers. It touched my heart in ways I cannot even describe. As a matter of fact, and this just still makes me cry... when my Nana was very sick 3 years ago and about to pass away, I went to visit her in the hospital. She couldn't say my name, but she did say something to me that just captured our relationship and is something I will hold in my heart always (because she was as much of a romance lover as me!), she looked at me and said, "Love story."
So... as we're talking summer beach reads right now, you can guess what books top my list. I've come a long way since the winter of 1996, I've definitely become more well versed in the world of romance and I absolutely know what authors can sizzle the pages up and what ones will leave you wanting to read more by her (I've never read romances by men).
My 5 Hot and Steamy Books to Read this Summer:
1) I have to kick off this list with a Danielle Steel! "44 Charles Street" by Danielle Steel (her latest book) is supposed to be incredible!
2) I randomly did a search for "romance authors" one afternoon a couple of years ago and came across the author - Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I absolutely fell in love with her style of writing and her books. She has a new one out called "Call Me Irrisistible."
BUT! Before you read this... I recommend reading one of her earlier books because she does a FABULOUS job at connecting all of her books with the same characters. You fully get to know and understand the characters as you move from book to book, I love it!
3) "It Had To Be You" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips is a MUST READ! This will kick off the love affair of Pheobe and Dan... just wait, you'll love them!
4) I came across Kristan Higgins a few months ago while chatting with some of my friends about their favorite books. My friend couldn't believe that I had never read a Kristan Higgins book before, especially since she's a New Englander! I've now read ALL of her books, but one of my faves is "My One and Only."
5) And what kind of list would this be without a Harlequin? Oh, yes! I'm not even kidding when I say that you could pick ANY Harlequin book... they're all created equal. But, if I had to choose a total cheesy one for the beach, I would go with "Billionaire Baby Dilemma" by Barbara Dunlop. Oh, yes... it's a quick, fast and good read.
What Steamy Books would you recommend I read? Love to hear!