5 Frugal Ways to Beat the Heat
Temperatures across the country are reaching triple digits. It's HOT! Our frequent trips to the park have subsided and my children are using that dreaded "B" word- BORED.
Since a daily trip to the local water park is out of the question, I am in search of other, more budget-friendly alternatives for keeping cool.
Here are 5 Frugal Ways to Beat the Heat, with kids!
- Be part of your community. See what resources are available, and get out and enjoy the free air conditioning! Your local library likely has a children's story time feature. Perhaps a local museum has a free or discounted day for families during the summer. Movie theaters often offer deeply discounted reruns.
- Eat cool. Firing up the oven is the last thing I want to do on a hot summer day. Stick with salads and sandwiches, followed by fresh fruit for dessert. Pop some homemade popsicles in the freezer and have them always ready to enjoy!
- Entertainment on the cheap. Check out group buying sites like Groupon or Living Social for deep discounts on entertainment options in your community. The indoor inflatable jump rooms are a huge hit with kids, and they often have specials!
- Get wet! If you don't have a pool in your own backyard, seek out a friendly neighbor who's willing to share, or visit the community pool to cool off. If all else fails, a simple run through the sprinklers is always a crowd pleaser.
- Keep cool indoors. Sometimes, the best recourse is to just stay home with a good book or family board game. Keep your house cool by turning off lights and using fans. Stay hydrated with lots of water or fresh lemonade. A cool washcloth on the back of your neck does wonders!