Are Your Ready For the $@^%# Summer?
It's almost summer. Three months of sunshine and good times, right? Um, not exactly. Look, I love sprinklers and lemonade stands as much as anyone. But let's face it. For us moms, summer means a whole lot of work. Here's my list of Summer's Greatest Hits, followed in parentheses by what it means for us moms.
1. Swimming at the pool! (Getting kids into bathings suits, putting sunscreen on them, gathering swim toys, towels, floaties, snacks, bringing them all to the bathroom every time one has to go so the others don't drown while you're gone - oh, and don't forget to to be bathing suit ready yourself.)
2. Going to the beach! (See number 1, and add traffic, carrying a heavy cooler, umbrella and beach chairs while pushing a stroller in the sand.)
3. Running through the sprinkler! (Setting up sprinkler, putting on sunscreen, picking up dog poop, getting extra towels, wiping up the kitchen floor of wet muddy footprints because the kids always have to go to the bathroom and get a snack, AFTER they are soaking wet)
4. Camping in the backyard! (Setting up tent, gathering sleeping bags, flashlights, snacks, books, toys, stuffed animals. Coaxing dogs into tent. Trying [unsuccessfully] to get dogs to stop barking at every sound. Putting dogs back in the house. Trying to get kids to not be afraid of sounds in the backyard. Trying to get yourself to not be afraid of sounds in the backyard. Gathering sleeping bags, flashlights, snacks, books, toys, stuffed animals and going back in the house to sleep.)
5. Lots of time to play games and do crafts! (My kids get up at 6am. I've got enough activities in my repertoire to last till about 11am. Then it's a constant loop of "We're bored! There's nothing to do!")
6. The ice cream truck! (Doling out $2.50 a piece for popsicles every time this thing drives past my house, which is EVERY DAY during the $%^&# summer?!)
7. Quality family time! (Playing referee to kids' constant fighting.)
8. Summer vacation! (See my blog post about needing a vacation from my vacation.)
9. BBQ! (Cooking on the grill... which is generally my husband's department...which means he's making dinner most nights...
10. I LOVE SUMMER!