5 Tips to Becoming Stress-Free This Holiday Season
“With the kids jingle belling and everyone telling you ‘be of good cheer’… It’s the busiest time of the year.” Okay, so that’s not quite how the Christmas carol goes, but it certainly is how I feel. How about you?
Just when the busy soccer season ends, with soccer practice several times a week and a game every weekend, we are ushered into the holiday season with all its glitter and busyness. I’m wondering when – if at all – life will slow down just a bit.
Now, don’t get me wrong, this is my favorite time of year, but it certainly can be pretty stressful. How about some tips for becoming stress-free?
1. Stay healthy – It is so important not just to eat well, but to eat often. The biggest mistake you can make is to miss meals, especially breakfast. If you are as busy as I am, and can’t sit down to three square meals every day this month, at least be sure you eat 5 to 6 small and healthy protein-packed snacks, throughout the day. In addition to eating well, be sure to exercise regularly to maintain a healthy body.
2. Get plenty of sleep – Did you know that 7 to 8 hours of sleep is what an average, healthy adult needs in order to be rejuvenated and stay healthy? Getting enough sleep will reduce anxiety and keep you on your toes.
3. Prioritize – When making your to-do lists this month, ask yourself these questions: What has to be done today? What can be done tomorrow? What can wait until after the holidays? Be sure you put your kiddos at the top of the list each day and continue to make time for them during this busy season.
4. Don’t bite off more than you can chew – Overcommitment is the leading cause of stress. Think about it… As parents we often wish we could do it all, but remind yourself that we can’t be SuperMoms and must say no. Do not be afraid to say no!
5. Take time to just be you – During this busy time, be sure to make time to just be. I know it sounds impossible, but an evening out with your husband, and afternoon with the girls, or a simple (but relaxing) bubble bath just before bed, can do wonders after a busy day.
Remember to enjoy every moment this holiday season. Breathe it all in. Enjoy watching your kiddos’ eyes light up as they see the lights go up on the tree. Don’t get so busy that you forget to laugh and have fun.