Avoiding Sick Kiddos
We just recently had the flu sweep through our family. Every single one of us got sick, within a week’s time, with the exception of Daddy. It seems that as a general rule either everyone gets the bug all at once, like last week, or the virus is spread out over the course of several days, or even weeks. Either way you slice it, having a bug run it's course through any family is never fun, but when there are 8 of us affected.. ugh. Not to mention the chaos that ensues when mommy gets sick... we won't even go there!
Hopefully your family has been blessed with a healthy winter, thus far. We practiced many precautions to avoid spreading the flu, the biggest of which was quarantining ourselves, but you can follow these simple tips to help prevent catching or spreading the flu:
- Make sure your kiddos know to cover their mouth with a tissue when they cough or sneeze.
- Wash your kiddos hands often and be sure you wash yours with warm, soapy water for 10-15 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially after sneezing or coughing.
- Keep all living areas clean by using household disinfectants, and sanitize surfaces with bleach or alcohol. This is especially important when it comes to the household items that are most-often used, like your telephone, computer keyboard, and remotes.
- Avoid contact with others who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home and rest.
- Remind yourself and your kiddos to avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Serve your kiddos healthy and vitamin-rich snacks. Orange slices and 100% fruit juices are the best way to keep their tummies full.
Stay warm and keep those kiddos of yours healthy!