Fun and Unique Things to do on Bed Rest
By Laura Sussely-Pope, Pregnancy.org
You’ve been put on bed rest. Many may think that sounds kind of nice. Hang out, no housework, no driving in traffic, no cooking, just up for a shower and to eat. Lovely. You get to lay around, read, watch TV and be treated like a queen.
Okay, wake up! In the real world, the joy of unlimited relaxation wears out after the first couple of days. All the friends and family who stopped by to keep you company have to get back to their lives and you – well, you are still in bed. What to do? What to do? We have some ideas!
- Write letters. Yes, real letters on real paper with real pens. It’s a lost art, we know but how nice would it be for your friends to receive a letter in the mail! Have someone get you some beautiful stationary and let the writing begin!
- Start or catch up your pregnancy journal. You now have time to write in your journal! Whether hand written or on the computer, write daily letters to the baby. Let him or her know what you are doing, what you are thinking, anything and everything. It will mean the world do them when they are older and it will remind you exactly why you are on bed rest!
- Learn a new language. There are a lot of ways to learn a new language. Tapes, apps, on the computer. Why not? How cool would it be to start bed rest not knowing French and emerge able to say “I’m in labor, let’s go!” en Francais?
- Get crafty. You may not think you are creative but when you have all the time in the world to learn, you never know. Learn to knit or crochet or make jewelry or handbags or? The possibilities are endless! Before you know it, you may have knit some booties, crocheted a sweater and made a bracelet for baby!
- Become an author. Haven’t you always felt you had a book in you? No time like the present! Write that book you’ve always been thinking about writing. Maybe it will be just for you but maybe you will be the next J.K. Rawling or Stephen King, one never knows.
- Go to school. Online, that is. The variety of online classes these days is amazing. From computer programs (didn’t you always want to learn Photoshop?), to flower arranging to college level courses to child development, you can find them online and take them online! And of course, you have time to study!
- Organize your photos. Everyone has pictures that they’ve been wanting to organize, frame, hang, put into albums or photo boxes. Now’s your chance!
Bed rest can be depressing but you can avoid getting depressed. Part of that is maintaining some routine and feeling good about yourself. Give yourself manicures, pedicures, have your hairstylist make a house call. That old saying, “fake it till you make it” rings somewhat true – if you look good, you feel good. The bottom line is keeping yourself feeling good inside and out will benefit you, your baby and your family!
Do you have any ideas to add to ours?
Are you pregnant? You might like these:
- Would You Name Your Kid Cyrus? The List of Hot Names for 2012 Is Out!
- Must-Watch: "I'm Pregnant and I Know It" Parody Video (Caution- Laughter May Cause Premature Labor)
- 10 Things You Should Know Before You Have a Second Child