Fun Ways for Kids to Stay Cool
This month we’re all sharing our top five tips for staying cool this summer, and I’d like to share ways that parents can keep their children cool while having fun!
1. Water, Water, Everywhere: Summer is the perfect time for fun in the sun with water. Whether you set up a sand and water table in the shade or connect a fun sprinkler to the garden hose, every child loves to splash and enjoy cool water on a hot day. Add a watery twist to a game of catch by soaking sponge balls in a bucket of water or turn a game of tag into a game of squirt tag with water blasters. Be sure to take the occasional time out for hydration!
2. Learning is Cool: Just because school is out doesn’t mean that the kids can’t enjoy a field trip. Contact local businesses such as your post office or grocery store to organize an informational trip in the cool of an air-conditioned building. Many stores and services will gladly provide a tour to a small group of kids, so get together with other parents and plan a cool outing for a hot day.
3. Get Crafty: While it may not be quite as exciting as a behind-the-scenes tour of your local ice cream shop, don’t discount the joy of arts and crafts at home. Many websites offer hundreds of free printables and craft ideas to keep kids happy in the cool of your home. Spend some time browsing ideas with your children allowing them to get involved in choosing the activities that they will enjoy the most.
4. Inside Out or Outside In: Is it too hot for soccer? Not the right season for ice skating? Research what activities are available at your local sportsplex year round. Many organizations use the summer months to offer demo classes or try new programs. This is a great time for your children to try a new sport or learn a new skill in the cool of an air-conditioned building.
5. When All Else Fails…It’s Popsicle Time! Whether inside or out, at home or at the park, there’s nothing like a cold treat to cool a little body down quickly. Plan ahead and let the kids help make their own frozen treats or stock up on their favorites for those emergency moments when everyone just needs to chill out!
What is your family’s favorite way to stay cool in the summer heat? Join the conversation!